One of the most important aspects of managing a Joomla or a Magento website is knowing how to add and update content to it, be it a product or a blog entry. Watch the video segment from our last webinar and continue reading for a step-by-step guide on how to easily add and update products and blog entries to your website.
How to add and update a BLOG ENTRY to a Joomla website.
The process of adding and updating a blog entry shown below can be done in any CMS version of Joomla.
Start creating blogs by following these steps:
- Log-in to the backend of your website.
2. From the navigation bar, hover over 'Content' and 'Articles' then click on 'Add New Article'.
3. Create a new article or update an article by clicking on 'New' or 'Edit' from the Articles page.
Other important items to set and check when creating or updating a blog entry include:
- Title - is where you put the blog title. It has a character limit for the ideal length but it doesn’t necessarily mean that Joomla will cut the title if it goes over the limit.
- Alias - is used in the SEF URL. If this is left blank, Joomla will fill in a default value based on the title. As an example, if a blog title is shown as “The Quick Brown Fox”, the default alias would be “the-quick-brown-fox”. SCI Global’s best practice is to use the default alias for SEO purposes, making sure symbols are decoded to words like an ampersand written down to an “and”.
- Status - is where you can set the publication status of your new or updated blog.
- Category - is where you can select the category the blog should be assigned under.
- Featured - is where you can assign if the the blog should be under the Featured Blogs section of the website.
- Access - is used to set the access level group/who can view the blog.
- Language - is used to set the language the blog is assigned to.
- Tags - is used to enter tags related to the blog. This is optional.
- Version Note - is used to enter and identify a note for the version of the blog. This is optional.
- Extended Toolbar - makes editing or customizing of content easy and simple.
- Menu Bar - shows a lot of options also available in the toolbar below it.
- Article Text - is where you write or enter the contents of the blog.
- Editor Buttons - are found at the bottom row of the editor toolbar -- offering functions including Article for easy creation of link to any article on the site, Image for inserting image/s, Pagebreak for inserting pagebreaks, Read More for inserting of a 'Read more...' break in the blog or a teaser text, and the Toggle Editor which is similar to the Source Code button from the Extended Toolbar except that the Toggle Editor switches the whole content area to an HTML coding page.
This section allows updates on various detailed date settings such as publishing, creation, modification, as well as the number of revisions and hits, and the author of the blog. This is also where the blog’s ID number and the page’s meta data can be set.
Images and Links Tab
This is where the display images and links on the blogs are set.
This tab shows a set of options for controlling how the blog will appear in the Featured or Category blog layout.
Configure Edit Screen Tab
This gives access to configuration options related to the article editing screen, from the front end, for the blog. Hide publishing options, article options, admin images and links, as well as front-end images and links through this section.
This is where you set permissions specifically for the blog.
This is located above the title field and is where you choose how you want to leave the blog. It shows functions such as: Save, Save & Close, Save & New, Cancel, Save as Copy, Versions, Close, and Help.
The Articles section of the back-end Joomla site shows all blog entries. To organize, filter, edit and work on these, use the available Headers and the Toolbar on the Articles page.
Sort blogs with the following Headers listed and briefly explained below:
- Status - indicates if a blog is published or not, starred or featured, or if it is not. It also has a drop-down option used to easily move a blog to archive or trash.
- Access - shows who can access the blog. This can be changed inside the blog.
- Public - means that blog can be seen by people logged in and people that are not logged in.
- Guest access level - is for users that are not logged in.
- Registered access level - is for users that are logged in.
- Special access level - means that blog is accessible to an author, manager, or super user only.
- Super access level - means that blog is accessible to Super Users only.
- Author - shows who created the blog.
- Language - shows the item language used.
- Date - shows when the blog was created.
- Hits - shows the number of views the blog garnered from the front-end.
- ID - shows a unique identification number for the blog. The number is automatically assigned by Joomla and can’t be changed even by a Super User.
The Toolbar on the Articles page presents a variety of blog functions. Check out what each one does below.
- New - creates a new blog entry.
- Edit - allows editing of a blog entry. It works by selecting the blog/blogs you want to update, clicking on the check box beside the article and clicking on the Edit button.
- Publish - publishes one or more blog entries. If you are publishing more than one item, just select the check box of the articles you want to be available. Click the Publish button afterwards.
- Unpublish - unpublishes one or more blog entries.
- Feature - sets one or more blog entries as featured.
- Unfeature - changes status of featured items to unfeatured.
- Archive - is used for blog items that you no longer want to be prominent on your website. Remember that this does not put the blog to trash or make it unpublished. It simply puts the blog away from the article listing page.
- Check-in - prevents other users from editing the same article at the same time. If a blog article is checked in, you will see a lock icon next to the blog title.
- Batch - applies single or multiply changes in one or more selected articles. These changes include language, access level, moving and copying to another category, and adding tag/s.
- Trash - unpublishes blog entries and puts these to trash. To permanently delete trashed blogs, just select the blog/blogs and click on Empty Trash from the toolbar.
How to add and update PRODUCTS to a Joomla website
Adding, customizing, and configuring products for Joomla websites require usage of the Virtuemart component. This easy-to-integrate component offers various plug-ins like payment methods, calculation rules, and custom product detail. Currently, Virtuemart is compatible with Joomla 2.5 and 3 versions.
Follow these easy steps to add in a product:
1. Log-in to the back-end of your website.
2. Hover over 'Components' on the navigation bar, go down to 'Virtuemart', and select 'Products'.
You can find all available products once you are directed to the Product List page. The Product List page also shows a toolbar which gives a number of functions including:
- Bulk Associate Categories - assigns one or more selected products to categories.
- Bulk Associate Shopper Groups - shows one or more products to a specific customized group of userss
- Child Product - creates a new product with fields that will depend on its parent product. Updating a Parent Product affects or updates the Child Product.
- Clone Product - replicates one or more products including its information, custom fields or related products, and designated category.
- Add Rating - leads to the Review & Rating page where you can add reviews and ratings to your selected product/s.
- Publish - publishes selected product/s.
- Unpublish - unpublishes selected product/s.
- Edit - edits selected product/s.
- Delete - deletes selected product/s.
- New - creates a new product.
3. Click on 'New' from the Product List page toolbar.
4. Provide all necessary and required data in the Product Information tab.
Some of the most important fields that should be added for a product includes the Product Name, Product SKU, Manufacturer of the Product, Product Categories, Cost Price, and other pricing information.
5. Add descriptions and meta data in the Product Descriptions tab.
6. Indicate a product’s status in the Product Status tab.
In the Product Status tab, you can also specify the available number of items in stock, number of low stock notification, minimum purchase quantity, availability date if the stocks have not arrived yet, availability image, how many is booked or ordered, purchase quantity steps, and maximum purchase quantity.
7. Add specifications in the Product Dimensions and Weight tab.
8. Upload images on the Product Images tab.
9. Add related categories, products, and custom field type in the Custom Fields tab.
10. Finish product addition by clicking on Save & Close or the Save button.
Need Help In Updating Content of Your Joomla Website?
We’re here to give you quick tips and a step-by-step run down.
How to add and update a BLOG ENTRY to a Magento website
The process of adding and updating a blog entry shown below can be done through the WordPress Magento extension.
Start uploading and publishing content through these steps:
1. Log-in to the backend of the Magento website.
2. Access WordPress through the Magento Dashboard or through your website’s WordPress log-in page.
3. Create a new entry by hovering on 'Posts' found on the left side of the WordPress dashboard. Select ‘Add New’.
4. Add in your blog title and the body of the blog.
You can use HTML codes on the HTML tab/Text tab. You can also just paste blog content from your document on the Visual tab and format it using the available tools found at the top of the text box.
5. Add/Select blog category the article should fall under.
To add a blog category, from the left column of your window, go to Posts > Categories. Fill out the required fields and click on the 'Add New Category' button. You can also do this by clicking 'Add New Category' found on the Category Module in a new post.
6. Set the blog's ‘Author’.
To add an ‘Author’ or the name that will appear on the blog entry, from the left column of your WordPress dashboard, go to Users > Add New. Fill out the required fields and click on 'Add New User' to save. Once you have added the user, its name will now appear under the 'Author' drop down from the new post page.
7. Add Featured Image.
To add a featured image, click on the 'Set Featured Image' link found on the lower right side of the new post page. Drag images you want to use on the window shown or select the files you want to use. Once uploaded, be sure to add in a title for your image, select its alignment, choose the size you want it to appear as and save it afterwards.
8. Check the publication settings. Publish or schedule for publication the drafted blog entry.
The publication settings is found on the upper right side of the new post window. Select blog status whether Draft or Pending Review. Check the visibility option of the blog and select from the three available options: Public, Password Protected, and Private.
9. Update a blog entry by simply selecting the blog you want to edit from the All Posts page. Access this by going to Posts > All Posts.
How to add and update PRODUCTS to a Magento website
Follow these steps to quickly add new products to your Magento eCommerce website:
1. Log-in to the backend of the Magento website.
2. Hover over Catalog > Manage Products.
3. On the Manage Products dashboard, click on the 'Add Product' button found on the upper right section of the window.
4. Identify 'Attribute Set' and 'Product Type' of item to be added.
- Simple Product - is a physical item with a single SKU. It has a range of pricing and input controls -- making it possible to offer variations of a product.
- Grouped Product - presents many, standalone products as a group. It can offer variations of one product or group products for a promotion. Grouped products can be purchased separately or as a group.
- Configurable Product - can appear as a single product offering lists of options for each product variation. Each option represents a separate, simple product with a distinct SKU.
- Virtual Product - is a product with no physical appearance. It is often used for items such as services, warranties, and subscriptions.
- Bundle Product - lets customer “build their own” product from different options available. It can be a gift basket or anything that can be customizable. Each bundle is a separate, standalone product.
- Downloadable Product - consists of one or more files that are downloaded. The files can either be in your server or provided as URLs to a different server.
5. Add in product details using the tabs found on the left side of the Add New Product page.
- General tab - Fill out basic product information including Product Name, SKU, Status (enabled or disabled), Visibility (Catalog and Search, Catalog, Search, or not individually visible), Manufacturer, Description, Short Description and more. Take note that required fields can be customized and set-up depending on client preferences.
- Prices tab - lets you set the product pricing. You can also set the special pricing to use as well as the tax class to use for the product here.
- Meta Information tab - is where you can add meta data for the product.
- Images tab - is where you can upload the images to be used for the product. Once uploaded, don’t forget to label the image and select where you want the image to appear using radio button options presented.
- Products Category tab - lets you select the category the product should fall under. This would make it easier for customers to find the product added.
- Related Products tab - if have related products showing on product detail pages, be sure to select the ones that will go with the product you are adding.
6. Once you have updated all applicable product detail tabs, click on 'Save' or 'Save and Continue' to complete product upload.
7. Edit or update a product by clicking on its name on the 'Manage Product' dashboard. You can find products by using the name or SKU filters.
Want To Know More?
SCI Global Services builds easy-to-manage Joomla and Magento websites to meet your business needs and requirements. We can help you update website content anywhere and anytime you want it. We also conduct Clever Clients Weekly Webinars where we discuss strategic methods and quick tips on managing websites and marketing campaigns.
Need Help In Updating Content of Your Magento Website?
We’re here to give you quick tips and a step-by-step run down.